Each month we will feature a Recyclist who comes into the studio and makes a positive change in his or her own life. A person who inspires us and reminds us of our intentions for this studio. Our bikes are stationary, but we are going places.
We’ve proven a theory here at RS: Couples that sweat together, stay together. Meet our newest Recyclists of the Month duo: Michael and Tamara. Chances are, if you’ve been to any class at Recycle (morning, afternoon, or night, RSBC or RSSE) you have seen this pair rocking out side by side on the bikes. Read on to learn more about how they discovered a sweet spot in the saddles, and how they fit their sweat sessions into their busy lives.
How you started spinning with us…
Tamara: We are both long-time runners, and neither of us has ever liked working out at the gym. When the studio opened in the winter, I was excited that it was right around the corner from our apartment, offered classes that worked well with my crazy hours as a pediatric resident, and was a good alternative to running in the cold, dark winter mornings. I was hooked after my first class.
Mike: When Recycle first opened, I had a crazy travel schedule for work, so it was a while before I took my first class. Plus, I was more skeptical that time on a bike in a dark room with an instructor yelling at me could replace a good run . . . but after the first couple of classes kicked my butt, I was addicted. We both continue to run and try to get out on the river at least a few times each week, but spinning at Recycle has become a key component of our exercise regimens. It’s amazing how much easier running up hills can be when you’ve been cranking up the resistance on the bike!
What keeps you motivated to work out, even with your busy schedules?
We typically go to early morning Recycle classes, because it’s a great feeling to start your day knowing that you’ve accomplished a hardcore workout—and the playlists are a fantastic way to wake up and get energized. We’ve always enjoyed exercising together and have had a lot of fun adding in spin classes together over the past year. We find ourselves talking a lot about the classes and spending way too much time figuring out our schedules while looking at the Recycle app!
Top 5 reasons why you love spinning at RS…
1. The instructors. We can’t say enough about how motivating the whole team is! They put together great playlists and bring such high degrees of energy. They push us to be better and stronger in every class.
2. Supporting a local business. We love living in the South End and are glad to be able to support Recycle and its neighbor, SEAC . . .
3. Super-intense workouts in a Zen atmosphere with candles and lights out. Definitely very different from your typical gym!
4. The sense of community and team. It’s great to meet other spinners from the South End and beyond. It feels like a team effort to push through class.
5. The full-body workout. We both love how the instructors incorporate arms into each class, and it’s amazing what 2-pound weights can do!
Favorite studio moment
When the class is full, the mirror is steamed up, and everyone is moving together to the same beat.